Frequent Questions about Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned
This information is as up to date as we
can keep it, but please note that the documentation you receive with
your Certified Pre-Owned Hyundai supersedes anything written here. Click
on your question below to jump to the
Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Hyundais have
undergone a rigorous 150-point inspection at your dealership.
Because they are Certified, they come with the standard 10 year / 100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 10 year unlimited mileage roadside assistance plan, the car is eligible for Additional Comprehensive Mechanical failure coverage up to 100,000 miles, Towing / Rental / Travel breakdown benefits, and a CARFAX vehicle history report.
The standard Hyundainew car Powertrain Limited Warranty is good for 10 years and up to 100,000 miles. When a Hyundai is sold as Certified Pre-Owned the exact same coverage applies to the pre-owned car. Ask your salesperson for more details about Hyundai Warranty coverage.
Hyundai additional coverage is actually offered in a series of plans or packages that protect various areas of the car, and can help defray the cost of regular maintenance such as tire replacement or service visits.
When you choose the Hyundai Protection Plan that's right for you, you can be covered for up to 164,000 total miles, depending upon the mileage of your vehicle. And if you buy the protection plan at the same time as you purchase your vehicle, you may be able to include the cost of the plan in the financing of your vehicle.
As a Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned
Vehicle customer, your Hyundai is covered for the following roadside assistance services:
Towing, including accidents
Battery jump starts
Change flat tire
Out of gas
Exclusions: Roadside Assistance is NOT A WARRANTY. For a description of the vehicle warranty covering your Hyundai, see the Hyundai New Vehicle Limited Warranty section of the Owner's Handbook. Roadside Assistance is a limited service, provided to you to help minimize any unforeseen vehicle operation inconvenience.
The Hyundai Roadside Assistance Program does not include reimbursement for any costs/charges for repairs, parts, labor, property loss, or any other expense incurred as a result of accident/collision, vehicle abuse, racing, vandalism, or other items not covered by the Hyundai New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Also excluded are services for snow tires, repair to studs, mounting or demounting of snow chains, and any fines, fees, or taxes associated with impound towing as a result of any actual or alleged violation of any law or regulation.
Off-roading is not covered. To receive service, the vehicle must be accessible from a publicly maintained road.
Hyundai certified service technicians at Jim Ellis Hyundai review the following 150 points on every Hyundai marked Certified Pre-Owned on the lot.
1. The vehicle must have a clear CarFax history report before the inspection can commence. The new owner will receive a copy of this report.
2. Car starts without hesitation 3. Cold engine idle 4. Warm engine idle 5. No abnormal engine noise present 6. Throttle operation 7. No abnormal exhaust noise present 8. Transmission and shift interlock function: shifts and smoothness 9. Clutch function: shifts properly without slipping (if applicable) 10. No abnormal noise/rattles/squeaks 11. Steering alignment 12. Vehicle tracks properly while driving 13. ABS system operates properly and performs correctly 14. Dash gauges and lights are operational 15. Cruise control operation: set, cancel and resume function 16. Parking brake operation: the brake sets, holds and releases 17. Body/suspension: noise, operation
18. Paint: finish and appearance 19. Trim: finish and appearance 20. Body Panels: fit and alignment 21. Frame: no visible damage 22. Front bumper: finish, appearance, no visible damage 23. Body moldings: fit and adjustment, no visible damage 24. Rear bumper: finish, appearance, no visible damage 25. Head lamps: high/low operation, clear lens, no damage 26. Parking lamp: operation, clear lens, no damage 27. Brake light: high mount tail light, reverse and license plate light: operation, clear lens, no damage 28. Fog lamps: operation, clear lens, no damage 29. Turn signals: operation, clear lens, no damage 30. Side lights: operation, clear lens, no damage 31. Wiper arms and blades: no streaking 32. Windshield and vehicle glass: no chips/cracks 33. Read defrost element: no visible damage 34. Side mirrors: present, operational 35. Antenna: present, operational (if applicable) 36. Locks: operation on all doors 37. Remote entry: unlock/lock operation 38. Door hinges: door opens smooth, free of squeaks 39. Hood strut: operation (if applicable) 40. Rear lift gate struts & lock: operation (if applicable) 41. Remote trunk entry: operation 42. Trunk carpet: condition 43. Jack and jack handle: present 44. Spare tire: condition, pressure 45. License plate bracket: present 46. No water damage evident 47. Wheels/rims: no visible damage 48. Exterior modifications abide by factory specifications
49. Master key & spare key: present 50. Door handles: operation and condition 51. Reading or map light operate 52. Clock functions and is set to correct time 53. Hazard light and switch operates 54. Seat belt: condition and operation 55. Seat belt: pretensioner & height adjuster operation 56. Fabric or leather: condition and appearance 57. Vehicle is free of odor or scents to mask odor 58. Trim: finish and appearance 59. Carpet: condition, appearance, no visible stains or damage 60. Ashtray: clean 61. Cup holders: present 62. Glove box and glove box lock operates 63. Owners manual & warranty manual are present 64. Rearview mirror: operation (day/night) 65. Vanity mirror and light operate 66. Side mirror controls operate 67. Radio: check operation and clear preset channels 68. Cassette player: operations (if applicable) 69. CD player/changer operation 70. Speakers: check operation of all speakers 71. Climate control: functions and adjusts as required 72. Steering wheel lock and controls operate 73. Defogger/defroster operates 74. Horn operates 75. Tilt and/or telescopic steering operation 76. Memory steering column operation (if applicable) 77. Power rear sun shade operation (if applicable) 78. Trunk light and trunk release operation 79. Hood release operation 80. Wiper operation: interval and speed control operates 81. Fuel gauge: operation 82. Fuel door and release operation 83. Air bag: exterior condition, intact, locks, dash light operation 84. Gear shift indicator correctly identified gear 85. Alarm/theft deterrent: arms and disarms 86. Warning bells/chimes operate 87. HVAC fan operation 88. Air conditioner operates and blows cold air 89. Heater operates and blows hot air 90. Sunroof glass; no chips, streaks or cracks 91. Sunroof shade condition 92. Power sunroof functions and controls operate 93. Outside temperature gauge operates 94. Navigation system and compass functions 95. Cigarette lighter: present and condition (if applicable) 96. Power windows operate 97. Auto up and down window function operates 98. Power door lock operation (including child safety) 99. Headrest: movement and operation 100. Manual seat(s): operation 101. Power seat(s): operation 102. Seat heater(s): operation 103. Power memory seat: operation 104. Lumbar support adjustment operates 105. Overall interior cleanliness
106. Perform service recalls/ updates/ campaigns on vehicle 107. Check vehicle for trouble codes 108. Emission system operation 109. Valve covers condition: no visible leaks 110. Engine seals & gaskets: condition, no visible leaks 111. Check for evidence of sludge 112. Check for evidence of water ingestion 113. Engine belts: operation and condition 114. Engine hoses: operation and condition 115. Engine mount condition 116. Belt tensioner operation 117. Transmission mounts, seals & gaskets condition; no visible leaks or damage 118. Vacuum line condition 119. CV axles & boots: no visible leaks / damage 120. Differential/drive axles: condition, no visible leaks/damage 121. Muffler, catalytic converter, tail pipe & hangers: condition 122. Air filter and dust / pollen filter condition 123. Steering rack / pump operation, no visible leaks or damage 124. Steering hose(s): no visible leaks/damage 125. Struts/shocks: proper ride height, condition, no visible leaks 126. Hood insulation condition 127. Sway bar/control arms/ball joints/ tie rods and idle arms: operation and condition 128. Suspension links and bushing: condition 129. Labels/decals: present and condition 130. Water pump operation, no visible leaks 131. Fuel pump operation, no visible leaks 132. Radiator, cap and cooling fan operation, no visible damage/leaks 133. Coolant recovery tank, sensor and fan cover condition 134. Battery and cables: condition, level, load test, free of corrosion 135. Ignition, starter and accelerator: operation and condition 136. Fluids: check levels and condition a. Oil b. Transmission c. Washer d. Power steering e. Engine coolant f. Brake fluid 137. A/C refrigerant (sight glass inspection) 138. A/C compressor: operation, no visible leaks 139. A/C clutch: operation, no abnormal noise 140. A/C belts and hoses: operation and condition 141. No water damage evidence 142. Mechanical modifications abide by factory specifications
Tires & Wheels
143. Remaining tread depth (minimum 5/32") a. Front b. Rear 144. Tires: size correct and match (all four) and no damage 145. Tire pressure correct on all four tires 146. Wheels: size correct and match (all four) 147. Lug nuts present and properly torqued, lug nut lock key provided 148. Brake pad minimum remaining wear a. Front b. Rear 149. Master cylinder, brake booster, brake rotors: operation and condition 150. Brake calipers, lines and fittings: operation, no visible leaks